Thursday, June 11, 2009

Movie Review: "Summer of 42"












Watch Movie Clip of "Summer of 42."

Directed by: Robert Mulligan
Written by: Herman Raucher
Cast: Jennifer O'Neil and Gary Grimes
Date Shown: 1971

About Robert Mulligan
(August 23, 1925 - December 20, 2008)

Please read contents about Robert Mulligan in "Man In The Moon."

Review

I made this movie review to compare my thoughts about the movie then and now. I remember watching "Summer of 42" when I was young. Though I do not remember the exact details of the movie, what I remember most is the soundtrack and the story of a young teenage boy falling in love with a woman. I also remember falling in love with the movie.

Upon doing the review of "Man In The Moon," I found out that the Director of "Man In The Moon" is also the Director of "Summer of 42." As such, I watched "Summer of 42" again.

The soundtrack is still as beautiful as I remembered it to be. The love scene was the highlight of the movie and was created with taste and tenderness. One would not think of malice when one watches the love scene between a teenage boy and a woman.

I also liked how the story showed the contrast between Hermie (the teenage boy who fell in love with the woman) and his friend. Hermie has deep thoughts and believes that physical intimacy has more to it than just being "physical." His friend, meanwhile, wants physical intimacy more for experience. Both boys experience their first physical intimacy experience during the summer of 42. However, one would clearly see that Hermie's experience created great impact.

What do you think about "Summer of 42?" Did you like the film?